Monday, May 9, 2011

Look! A new blog post!...With pictures!

Wow, time's flying by these days. My last post was seriously over a month ago? Yikes...

So, what are my excuses this time? Well, aside from the usual schoolwork, I've been busy taking a barista class at my favourite cafe (yes, in Chinese - it's a normal barista class for normal Chinese people, not just for foreigners) and tutoring a few kids on the weekends. I've also decided not to get fat while I'm here, which means instead of just eating quick, greasy veggies and fried noodles at the canteens and restaurants every day, I now spend a fair chunk of time grocery shopping, cooking and working out at the little gym in the basement of my dorm. The food here is delicious, but my god, is it ever fattening. Take Chongqing's favourite dish, hotpot, for instance:



That pot's probably got at least a half litre of chili oil floating on top of the broth. Raw ingredients are added to the pot, fished out, and dunked in a bowl full of soya oil before eating. The sheer quantities of oil consumed in a hotpot dinner are insane. And it's not necessarily just for "special occasions," either. There are lots of people here who eat it on a weekly basis. Hotpot's an extreme case, but pretty mush everything here tends to be swimming in grease. People here are always commenting on how westerners are all fat because of our unhealthy diets, but I don't buy it; I think even Ronald McDonald would be overwhelmed by the amount of grease and MSG in the local food.

Although it's kind of a shame to have to limit my consumption of the local cuisine, I'm getting all the fresh, local, seasonal produce I can eat! Since I started cooking for myself more, I've probably been eating healthier than I ever have in my life. Street vendors are everywhere with their locally grown sweet potatoes, greens, cherry tomatoes, and fruits. And the fruits! I'm eating fresh pineapples and Asian pears and watermelons like it's my job. I will really miss all this when I go home.

Anyway, as you can see, I've finally got a reliable enough connection to support the photo uploader, so I'll get on that and brighten up this blog a bit.

Coming up soon: my Chinese barista class, durian season, travel plans, and more pictures of Chongqing!

No comments:

Post a Comment