Saturday, September 4, 2010

T minus 3 hours.

I expect most people who will read this blog are people I know, but on the off chance you don't know me, here's the story: I'm a third year English major at the University of Victoria. I started studying Mandarin on a whim and fell in love with it, and after my second year of Mandarin studies I decided to take it on as a minor. This spring my teacher got wind of a few scholarships to Chinese universities and encouraged me to apply, and I thought, "why not?" So I applied for three or four to different universities, not expecting to hear anything of it ever again. By summer I'd forgotten all about it. And then in mid-July I get a big envelope in the mail with Chinese writing all over it. Inside is a letter telling me I've won a full scholarship to study Mandarin at for a year at Southwest University in Chongqing - tuition, lodging, living allowance and medical coverage all included. And I have to be there by September tenth. And so the mad scramble began. Gathering documents, getting shots, applying for a visa, packing, saying goodbyes...Somehow it all came together, and tonight I get on a plane and fly for 16 hours to a totally foreign country, where I will be living for a year.

So after an epic night of goodbye-partying, a 3-hour sleep, and a horrendous day of last-minute packing, retreiving forgotten items, and rushing to catch the ferry so I could pick up my Visa from the agent before they closed, my journey begins: I'm currently at YVR airport, with only three hours left on my home continent. In less than one day, I'll be plunged into a completely new life. So surreal.

Anyway, the main purpose of this blog is to keep in touch with everyone at home while I have no access to Facebook, which is blocked in China. So say hi and tell me what's up with you!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Carrie!

    You're missing a beautiful day in Victoria - it's sunny and warm, but I'm guessing you're not missing it much!

    I'm glad that it all came together at the last minute, that you're safely on board your flight and am really looking forward to keeping up with your adventures here.

    Love you lots,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, girl!

    Wishing you all good fortune. I, too, will avidly follow your adventures via this forum. May it be the best year of your life yet. Take care.

    Love, Sheri G. xo

    ReplyDelete